Friday, August 1, 2008

We were this close...and it felt good

Today I could almost see the line of students, workers, visitors and kids waiting patiently outside the truck to buy our cupcakes. I could see the smiling, friendly faces and hear their questions. I saw us taking orders, boxing and bagging cupcakes and making change. I saw the start of something really cool. I also saw just how much work this would be. I have no illusions. This will be a LOT of work.

For someone who's used to making a living by sitting at a desk thinking and writing or in meetings schmoozing and selling, spending hours alone (or side by side with my S.O.) in a quiet kitchen at 5 am is very different. But I really loved it. I loved being in the kitchen, not thinking about anything except following my recipes and what the rest of the day would bring.

I won't lie to you, it was a little hard getting out of bed at 4. It was hard standing up in that hot kitchen for 5 and a half hours straight. It was hard figuring out the things that aren't yet moving like clockwork. Doing damage control on the little things that went wrong. But it was easy to see how much better it will be. With time and patience and perseverance.

I hope I have enough of all three to get through the next month.