Friday, August 29, 2008

The 3-week point

So as of today, we've been in business for three full weeks (not counting that slightly scary first week when no one knew we were there and we donated what seemed like hundreds of cupcakes to local soup kitchens). But I digress. How's it been going you ask? Well...

It is t-o-u-g-h waking up at 3 or 4 am. Ok, it's tough waking up to turn off the alarm clock at 3 or 4 am. Then again five minutes after that, and five minutes after that. Even for us compulsive bakers :)

I knew we'd lose sleep in this venture, especially in the first month. But I didn't think I'd lose weight. If anything, I figured testing cupcakes everyday I'd gain at least 5-10 pounds for sure. Actually the opposite has proven true. We're so busy, we barely eat. In fact, bites of cupcakes here and there is about all we eat most days.

But you know what makes it worth it? Meeting and talking with all of you each day. No, seriously. We had no idea that we'd like it as much as we do.

I used to enjoy baking in my former life. It was stress relief. A way of staying connected to the bakeshop fantasy. But now that we're living the fantasy, I have to say that while I still enjoy baking, it's taken a back seat to being in that truck and greeting you all, seeing your excited faces, taking your orders and frosting your cupcakes the way you want them. Now THAT is stress relief.

I have to tell you something else that surprised me. My S.O probably knew this as he has a knack for knowing what's what, but personally I never knew men enjoyed sweets as much as women. We get as many men walk up and try our cupcakes as women. True, some are dragged by their wives, girlfriends and significant others but many, probably 75%, come on their own. And since we believe in Equal Opportunity Eating, we hope you guys will please keep coming.

We have lots of exciting things planned for the coming weeks and months. Like a Cupcake Card for you frequent buyers. Additions to the truck to keep you entertained while you wait on line (thank you for waiting!). We'll also be doing more fun promotions. Probably once a month or every other month. So more of you can win free, fun stuff like last week's winner. So stay tuned.

Ooh, for those of you who liked our cookies (like yesterdays Ginger Lemon Cream Sandwiches), we'll have more new and yummy non-cupcake treats in the coming weeks. Don't know what yet. That depends on my whims.




Btw, welcome back to all the students (Yale, Gateway, SCSU, Quinnipiac, UNH and Albertus Magnus — did I forget anyone?). We can't wait to meet all of you! Remember, your brains need sugar.

:)